Policy Submission: Some Considerations on the Implementation of Article 9 on Accessibility of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
If you have any issue accessing this document please let us know and we will try our best to resolve the issue. You can reach us on 08 8373 8333 or email@example.com
JFA Purple Orange prepared this paper in response to an official call for papers by the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Working Group, offering commentary on several questions posed by the Committee.
- What is the relationship between the UNCRPD Article 9 on Accessibility and Article 5 on Equality and Non-discrimination?
- What is the nature of accessibility as defined in Article 9 and other relevant Articles of the Convention – a principle, a right, a precondition for full and equal participation of persons with disabilities in society and for their liberty of movement, or all of the above?
- What are the aspects of progressive realization of the accessibility and the relation between accessibility and reasonable accommodation?
- The input, mandate and competencies of various national stakeholders – the public uthorities, expert associations (e.g. Chambers of Architects and Engineers), the academia and the civil society (in particular organizations of persons with disabilities) – in defining the national accessibility standards and monitoring its’ implementation.
- Examples of good practice in promotion of universal design and accessibility, funding and realization of regional, national and local action plans for accessibility and the removal of barriers in physical environment, public transport, information and communication and access to services opened to the public.